Joe’s Comment – This is a class metaphor akin to “when a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it fall….”.
What does a beggar do when no one is around?
The subject of crime in major centers around the world is an interesting data mining exercise.
Joe and I have an opinion. The same opinion we’ve held for many years – of all the factors involved, intelligence has a key role in determining fate.
When the rest of the equation is known, parsing the degree or contribution of each measurable, quantifiable aspect is the raw meat of disputes that rage up and down the political, economic, social, cultural and intellectual faultlines. For instance, what, if anything, is the relationship of race to crime? Does the political climate influence crime? How does the economic status. or education, or intelligence of the individual affect their behaviour in a criminal sense?
The American Renaissance organization compiles government statistics on a yearly basis, and publishes their analysis.
The report is called “The Color of Crime” – this organization does NOT shy away from including the “race” of the criminal in their analysis.
Here is an executive summary from the 2016 edition:
- The evidence suggests that if there is police racial bias in arrests it is negligible. Victim and witness surveys show that police arrest violent criminals in close proportion to the rates at which criminals of different races commit violent crimes.
- There are dramatic race differences in crime rates. Asians have the lowest rates, followed by whites, and then Hispanics. Blacks have notably high crime rates. This pattern holds true for virtually all crime categories and for virtually all age groups.
- In 2013, a black was six times more likely than a non-black to commit murder, and 12 times more likely to murder someone of another race than to be murdered by someone of another race.
- In 2013, of the approximately 660,000 crimes of interracial violence that involved blacks and whites, blacks were the perpetrators 85 percent of the time. This meant a black person was 27 times more likely to attack a white person than vice versa. A Hispanic was eight times more likely to attack a white person than vice versa.
- In 2014 in New York City, a black was 31 times more likely than a white to be arrested for murder, and a Hispanic was 12.4 times more likely. For the crime of “shooting” — defined as firing a bullet that hits someone — a black was 98.4 times more likely than a white to be arrested, and a Hispanic was 23.6 times more likely.
- If New York City were all white, the murder rate would drop by 91 percent, the robbery rate by 81 percent, and the shootings rate by 97 percent.
- In an all-white Chicago, murder would decline 90 percent, rape by 81 percent, and robbery by 90 percent.
- In 2015, a black person was 2.45 times more likely than a white person to be shot and killed by the police. A Hispanic person was 1.21 times more likely. These figures are well within what would be expected given race differences in crime rates and likelihood to resist arrest.
- In 2015, police killings of blacks accounted for approximately 4 percent of homicides of blacks. Police killings of unarmed blacks accounted for approximately 0.6 percent of homicides of blacks. The overwhelming majority of black homicide victims (93 percent from 1980 to 2008) were killed by blacks.
- Both violent and non-violent crime has been declining in the United States since a high in 1993. 2015 saw a disturbing rise in murder in major American cities that some observers associated with “depolicing” in response to intense media and public scrutiny of police activity.
We thought these points to be extremely interesting from our perspective that intelligence is a key foundation of behaviour.
The hierarchy of criminality – Asian, White, Hispanic, Black, lowest to highest – is a proven statistical norm in American experience.
The complete report is located here.
Our contention is that the hierarchy is no coincidence, for it tracks the accepted distribution of IQ for these “races” (ethnic groups).
IQ (is not a crime)
So, if crime is related to IQ according to Joe, what is IQ related to?
In other words, where does your intelligence come from?
Thank doG you don’t have to figure it out yourself.
Here is Stefan Molyneaux discussing race, genetics, and intelligence with Helmuth Nyborg. Professor Nyborg is controversial in Denmark. His research has been scandalized by the politically correct intelligentsia of his native land. Joe and I find his view informative.
The leftist tendency to deny a forum or platform to persons who do not echo their views is strong, everywhere:
One of the tenets of Mr. Nyborg’s presentation is that in general, IQ is genetic. 60 to 80% inherited.
Also, the success of a “democracy” is dependent on IQ. That is, if the average IQ of a country is less than 90, the chance of success of democracy approaches zero.
Very sobering presentation.
The Political Wind (or…. I fart in your general direction)
Joe and I argued over many of the questions in the most recent “I Side With” quiz that compares your answers with the positions of Canadian political parties.
Joe is a Libertarian, through and through.
I am a Conservative / Libertarian.
Here are our results (quiz taken Saturday evening, no alcohol imbibed):
We were both surprised to see that we align 62% with the Christian Heritage on more issues than we do with Liberals.
Glory be to doG!
Want to take the quiz and find your own leanings?
Click on this link.
Boys Will Be Boys
You may not know of Gavin McInnes or Gad Saad.
You may not know they are, ipso facto, both “Canadian”, but not by birth.
Joe and I have seen Gavin McInnes on some cable TV, but not on many “main stream” outlets.
Gad Saad is an “evolutionary behavioral scientist” at the John Molson School of Business (Concordia) in Montreal.
They have some things in common.
One of those things is podcasting.
Here Gad and Gavin discuss current events, including feminism, Islam, manliness, and the Shiny Pony. Gad and Gavin both agree that Justin Trudeau is one of the least intelligent politicians in the world today. Gad does get nervous when Gavin does not curtail his unmuffled polymathic point of view, for Gavin is crude, crass, and politically incorrect two standard deviations above the norm.
An interesting discussion:
Our Fearless Leader
The Shiny Pony keeps giving.
I for one wish he would keep his opinions to himself.
Joe says let him yap. Sooner or later people might wake up and oust him.
Or, if they continue the romance, these people reveal just how shallow they are.
There are three conflicts in life:
Man vs Man
Man vs Himself
Man vs the Elements
The following video features one of the “Elements” called Jaguarium.
One powerful element, hey Bambi?::
So much crap to contend with in the world that is sad, sick, horrific, criminal, disgusting.
Why don’t people just be happy?
Here are some jolly buggers who like to spin tops.
The limit of accuracy is an interesting question.
The following video about Graham Short, an Englishman who has been an engraver for over 40 years.
He hand engraves on tiny objects.
The fact that he can get his heartbeat down to 20 per minute amazes Joe, who always runs at or about 90 per minute.
Amazing feats of manual dexterity – he has engraved the words “Nothing is impossible” on the edge of a razor blade:
Another video of Mr. Short doing the impossible is verified by a technician with a very powerful microscope.
What is bloody amazing to mere mortals is cause for concern in Mr. Short.
He is aghast that his work shows tool marks and other imperfections under such high magnification.
Here he is on the “One Show” being his modest self:
POLITICS, POLITICIANS, WACKJOBBERY, HUMOROUS, STUPID
PHILOSOPHY, PHILOSOPHERS, SMART THINKING
GUNS, GUNNERS, GUNNERY
THE RELIGION OF PEACE (ALL OVER US)
Held over for a second week, Nonie Darwish in a more recent presentation describing in plain language, the existential problem with Islam: if they make peace with Jews, Mohamed is de facto, a murderer, and Islam is no more. She promotes the idea that the number one enemy of Islam is the truth:
If you haven’t heard, Islam is a word that means “submit”.
Or so they say.
Trouble is, no two Muslims can be relied upon to tell the same story. Here is a rational observation of the last 50 or so years of Islam in the world:
The sermon today is a speech from Yaron Brook of the Ayn Rand Institute on the subject of inequality.
Is it fair that inequality is all around us?
Is it moral to allow inequality to exist without intervention?
Yaron argues that inequality is reality.
Also, inequality is unavoidable in a just society.
An interesting exposure to the Ayn Rand philosophy of Objectivism:
WEATHER (OR NOT)
This week in Vernon was very pleasant. Other than a rainy day on Friday, the entire week was tee shirt weather.
There is no better place to be than the Okanagan when the sun shines and the greenery is exactly that…
Joe (Smilin’) Mekanic
p.s. Ramirez never misses a beat – from Investor’s Business Daily –